Skip to main content

TRICARE-Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP)

The Transitional Assistance Management Program (TAMP) provides 180 days of health care benefits after regular TRICARE benefits end. These benefits help with your transition. You also you don’t have to pay any premiums for TAMP.

For those who qualify, the 180-day TAMP period begins upon your separation. During TAMP, you and your family members are eligible to use one of the following health plan options in addition to military hospitals and clinics:

Other active duty programs such as the Extended Care Health Option (ECHO) are also available during the TAMP period.

Does your child have TRICARE coverage through TAMP? If so, they will lose their TRICARE coverage after the 180-day TAMP period ends.

Eligibility Requirements

TAMP may cover you and your eligible family members if you are:

  • Involuntarily separating from the military means that you leave the service before you retire from active duty under honorable conditions, including:
    • Members receiving a voluntary separation incentive (VSI), or
    • Members receiving a voluntary separation pay (VSP) and can’t receive retired or retainer pay upon separation.
  • A National Guard or Reserve member separating from a period of more than 30 consecutive days of active duty served for:
    • A preplanned mission.
    • Support of a contingency operation.
    • Support of the government coronavirus (COVID-19) response.
  • Separating from active duty following involuntary retention (stop-loss) in support of a contingency operation
  • Separating from active duty following a voluntary agreement to stay on active duty for less than one year in support of a contingency operation
  • Receiving a sole survivorship discharge
  • Separating from regular active duty service and agree to become a member of the Selected Reserve of a Reserve Component. The Service member must become a Selected Reservist the day immediately following release from regular active duty service to qualify.

The Services determine your TAMP eligibility and document eligibility in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System(DEERS) A database of information on uniformed services members (sponsors), U.S.-sponsored foreign military, DoD and uniformed services civilians, other personnel as directed by the DoD, and their family members. You need to register in DEERS to get TRICARE. (DEERS). TAMP eligibility can be viewed online via milConnect. Service personnel departments will provide information or assistance with your TAMP eligibility.

Locations and Contacts

Last updated: 13/06/2024 14:49